Monday, June 1, 2009

TODAY

Today marks the 35th year that my parents have been married. If it wasn't for them, I wouldn't be who I am, and I am grateful. I am so proud of them for having stuck out the hard years, when their kids were snotty teenagers. Now when I talk to them, and when I see them, I think they seem truly happy with one another. And it is wonderful. (And now that I am co-parenting with Mike I understand so much more about all that they did for me. Thank you, Mom and Dad. Thank you for all of your sacrifices.)

Today marks the day my baby sister became a first-time homeowner. She is the youngest of the four of us, and the first to own her home. I am so proud of you, Sis, so proud it makes my heart swell.

Today also marks the day of my mom's birth; I think she's 35ish. She's as beautiful as she ever was. When she married my dad she was 21 and he was 19. We used to tell her she was a cradle robber. The other night the kids didn't believe that there are hippies in the Midwest, and I showed them my picture of Mom and Dad on their wedding day, as proof that there are.

I am grateful for the people in my life. I am grateful for my family. I am grateful for today. And there are few feelings better than to feel truly grateful for what you have.

2 comments: