Monday, September 17, 2007

Back from Camping

So I have been camping from Thursday night to Monday morning and now I am back at work, sort of. In body anyway. Tired is the understatement of this post. On my way into the office, got my mail and lo (high!)* and behold (hark!)*, I have a California driver license. This makes me quite official now. Or something.

The weekend at Earthdance was quite an experience. Not sure even where to begin in describing it. Let's just say I felt transported through time into scenes (or rather more like observing them, with my mouth agape) that I had previously only seen in glossy pictures of Life Magazine. All of a sudden it was the 60's. At least that's what I think. I wasn't actually there in the 60's. Hence the Life Magazine reference, obviously. I took five pictures, which maybe I will share later. They have a website also, which is www.earthdance.org (which I can't link to this page for some reason) where I'm sure you can see all the beautiful and strange wonder that is people at Earthdance.

Speaking of strange, I'm also reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. Uber creepy book. And yet I can't stop reading it...

Well that's me in a nutshell. (Help, help, I'm in a nutshell! How did I get in this crazy nutshell?)**

Hope you all are well. I'm muddling through this day called work/Monday and then going home to crawl into my bed (A BED! A REAL BED!).

*Hi, Mom.
**Inane reference to Mike Myers movie from once upon a time.

4 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

The fact that it's called "Earthdance" leads me to be unsurprised at the hippie action. Congrats on the DL! I remember being so excited about my WI DL. In fact, I'm still excited about it and so glad that I have it. It's like a little memento.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Well, yes, that is a good point, Laurie, a very good point. However, I knew what it was all about before getting there and I still felt unprepared for what I actually witnessed.

Also, it wasn't actually a bad thing. Just an enthralling thing. Like people-watching on State Street during events times a million.

And THANK YOU for humoring me on the DL thing. It's quite exciting to me and at the same time just strange as all get-out. Every time I have to get it out (they ID you every time you use a credit or debit card here which is a very good thing) it's so weird to me to see my face on a California DL.

Plus they punched a hole in my WI license to show that it is no longer valid. :-( That made me a little sad.

Charmingly Feisty said...

Oooh, ouch! How dare they deface a WISCONSIN driver's license.

It's good to see a post from you again. "Brave New World" was really strange. What's with "pneumatic", anyway? I never really did quite understand what was meant by that. I kept imagining a slightly-and-pleasingly plump woman who would be comfortably bouncy during sex. I'm sure that's totally wrong but that's what always came to mind.

Can I say that here?

West Coast Midwestern said...

Haha, you just did, Eileen. :-)

I think you are right about Huxley's use of the word pneumatic though because in conversations they seem to alternate the word plump with pneumatic, and it's always in reference to sex.

I get a kick out of how "mother" and "father" are basically swear words and the use of the word "viviparous" and then all the subsequent gasps of shock and horror. So weird, but very creative.