Thursday, October 4, 2007

Google Loves Us, Yes It Does

I just read in the paper that Humboldt County has been blessed with the Google Transit feature, which if you are unfamiliar, is where you can get up-to-the-minute Humboldt County public transit information by plugginig in your starting address and destination address (after Googling "Google Transit" of course).

Why is this cool?

Two reasons:
1) Humboldt County is the only rural area in the US to get this feature.
2) Humboldt County is the only place in the US in which Google calculates your place-to-place using multiple transit services.

Nifty, eh? I think so.

Also in the news, OK the same news article, the Google Street View VW Beetle has been spotted around Arcata. Street View is a Google project that takes photographs of every inch of the city and puts them on the web.

Why is this newsworthy? Well because Street View is only for the big cities. Except apparently for Humboldt County. Yep, Humboldt County is on the map. The Google map. Heh.

2 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

Ok, I am OBSESSED with the Street View feature. They have it for every street in my neighborhood and it is AMAZING. Also, Tampa (my hometown) was one of the first cities to get the Google Public Transit thing which is so weird since public transportation in Tampa is not so hot.

But anyway yay for Humboldt County!bb

Charmingly Feisty said...

That sounds really neat, I wonder if we have it here. I'm sure I'd have heard of it if we did.

See, you move out there and good things happen for everyone! Talk about a charmed life.