Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Two Weird Things About Yesterday

1) The internet went down in the entire county.*

2) There was a 100% chance of rain according to the forecast for yesterday and it didn't rain at all.**

*How can the internet go down in an entire county, you may ask? Good question, I may answer. It has something to do with a fiber optic cable being cut, possibly by a branch of a redwood tree falling on it from the crazy winds. Or so I hear. Only the cable being cut part is confirmed. I suspect the second half of the story is something like an urban legend, but I actually don't know that for sure. Something else of note: this isn't the first time since I've been here that this has happened. Gee, it sure is backwards here sometimes. According to "the hype" (aka what people I have talked to in Humboldt County think) Wisconsin is about as backwards as they get. I can't think of a time when the internet went down in an entire county in Wisconsin, but hey.

**Speaking of crazy winds, there was scary, tornado-like weather going on all day yesterday. A warm strong wind and dark ominous sky. But this isn't tornado territory so I was the only one scared. It did eventually storm last night (regular, not thunder) and it didn't let up until about mid-day today, so I guess last night still counts as yesterday. But still, when you think 100% chance of rain, do you think bright sunny day? Because that's what yesterday was. I just can't keep up!

In other news, I realized the other day that I have been saying "eh" a lot lately, as if I were Canadian or from the midwest or something. This is only strange because I don't believe I ever said it before. It's like I'm trying to prove I speak Wisconsin-ese or something. It does come up a lot that I: a) have such a distinct accent, or b) don't have an accent at all (depending on who you ask, which in my case is nobody, just a "fun" side effect of having only a Wisconsin driver's license to produce whenever asked - but now that has changed, thank goodness). So I don't really know if I sound distinctly midwestern or not. But I did have a girl at the bank tell me that she wished I had that "cute Wisconsin accent." So at least we've determined my accent/lack-of-accent is not cute. In case that is information I can ever use. I am relieved, let me tell you.

Oh yeah, and if you've actually read this far, I got a cell phone over the weekend and I have my very own phone number now. Yay.

3 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

Two Weird Things About This Post:

(1) After reading the first sentence, I had to check the date like three times because I swore that I read this exact post awhile ago. Then you explained that this actually happened before.

(2) I had the same experience when moving to Wisconsin-- I'd probably never said "y'all" in my entire life or had the slightest bit of Floridian pride but as soon as I moved, it was "y'all this" and "y'all that" and I found myself constantly, embarrassingly prattling on about alligators and hurricane season. Totally bizarre.

Charmingly Feisty said...

Weirdly enough, the internet DID go down in an entire section of Wisconsin recently. They found out the fiber optic cable ran under a newly built beaver's lodge and the beavers had chewed through it. It caused quite a stir, with the state owned departments anyway. They frantically searched for construction or farm work that might have caused it, until they narrowed the breach down to a swampy area. Eh?

West Coast Midwestern said...

But alligators are awesome.

We get tsunamis here.

I have talked about tornadoes way too many times since moving here, I have now realized.

Beavers, eh? I can't say that I'm surprised really.