Friday, October 19, 2007

Three Weeks Notice

So I did it. I gave notice. And people here are really sad. It's ridiculous how sad they are, but at the same time it makes sense. It's not about me, really. It's about the amount of work to do in the office and the fact that they are understaffed with me here. The fact that transitions are hard. The fact that no one seems to know how to do my job and I'm just now figuring it out after three months.

But they don't much seem surprised either. They seem to understand. They know I've put up with a lot here and that things are not run efficiently, to say the least. They are excited that I have such a fun job opportunity. They are happy for me. And sad for themselves. I hate letting people down. I just hate it so much. But again, that's not a strong enough reason to stay in a situation that is not right for you.

So, I'll be relieved when this day is over. It's raining buckets anyway, so it's a pretty depressing day. The good news is that it's pay day so I have some money to go buy a decent rain coat. They tell me I'll need one here. Yeah, I am kind of sensing that, what with the hydroplaning all the way to work this morning and what-not (it's sort of like surfing, only different).

Hope y'all are doing great.

1 comment:

Laurie Stark said...

Congrats, lady. I hate that, too. But I have to say that there have been many times when I've been the one to desert people and many times when I've been the one who was deserted. In the former cases, I tended to beat myself up about it for centuries. In the latter cases, I tended to get over it pretty quickly. That's not always the case, of course, but just don't be too hard on yourself. Sounds like you definitely made the right decision!