Thursday, February 14, 2008

On Love, Random Stranger Style

A man who appeared to have all of his worldly possessions with him in a shopping cart handed me a photocopy of this poem, handwritten on a plain white sheet of paper, as I walked by on my way to the post office:


Love and marriage,
Love and marriage
go together
like a horse and carriage,
This I tell you brother,
You can't have one
without the other.



I couldn't tell if it was the Frank Sinatra version or the theme song from the sitcom Married with Children, though I can't see how that really makes a difference. I guess I appreciate the sentiment? I can't help but wonder what made him choose this poem to photocopy and hand out to passersby. I also can't help but wonder if he handed out his little marriage poem to men too. Maybe I have been proposed to and I don't even know it!

Well, at the very least, I now know this random stranger's opinion on love, AND marriage. And I'm glad too.

3 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

This story's hilarious! I wonder why/how he did that, it seems so random!

West Coast Midwestern said...

I know, right!

The rest of the story is that he then pulled out an inch-thick stack of handwritten questions and asked if I could take his survey. I backed away and said I had to get back to work, which was true, but also an excuse, I'll admit.

I left that part out for simplicity's sake. I think he only gave me the poem because I walked by him and didn't give him a dirty look when he said hello.

Charmingly Feisty said...

Oh dear, homeless survey guy.

That story is funny and sad at the same time. You never know what will happen when you acknowledge someone's humanity.


When is the wedding?