Wednesday, January 2, 2008

A Bloggy Year in Review

I borrowed this idea from my friend's blog (the word blog came from "web log" and then was shortened over time); she borrowed it from some other blog she reads.

The idea is that you take the first sentence or two from the first post of each month and that is a [hopefully] interesting way to sum up the year. (Sometimes I had to take a tad more than that for the sentences to make any sense at all; my mother never accused me of being pithy, folks!)

I didn't start this blog until I moved to California which was in March. But that's close enough:

MARCH
Driving to Cali took 3 days-ish from Friday night to Monday night. We slept in the car for a few hours Friday night/Saturday morning 130AMish to 530AMish, drove all day Saturday, stopped Saturday night @ Little America, Wyoming, less than an hour from the Nevada border...

APRIL
Sunday the weather was beautiful. It was sunny and warm and amazing. I packed us a couple sandwiches, one PB and honey on this really good 9-grain-or-something bread that Mike likes and one mild cheddar cheese and cut them in half and wrapped them up and put them in my shoulder bag. That was a really long run-on sentence. But anyway.

Then Mike and I put on our walking shoes and walked. We walked down the big hill, past the grocery store, turned into a residential area and walked about four more blocks to the Sequoia Park Zoo! It's a very tiny, charming, free zoo with amazing scenery of lots of huge trees and trees full of flowers and foliage and of course animals!

MAY
My plates have expired on my Nissan. This means I have to go get California plates now. I wonder if I could get a vanity plate that says Made in WI. I wonder if I would really want to do that. I'm rather proud of Wisconsin and always have been.

JUNE
I got another job!

JULY
Well, Hayley and Dan are back at home. They left yesterday on a red-eye home to good ol' Wisconsin. I was very sad to see them go, but relieved that they got on the plane without a hassle.

AUGUST
Today, we signed an apartment lease! So regardless of my homesickness, I'm here for at least another year. We are moving into our new apartment, in Bayside, this weekend.

In other news, Mike and I are going to make a road trip as soon as time permits. Mike has been doing really well making aquarium scenes and butterfly garden scenes in glass, and his latest is jellyfish. Those things are so popular. We are going to drive up the coast and sell them as we go.

SEPTEMBER
OK so I have finally moved. It has taken much longer than we had anticipated and hoped. But now it is done (except for all the unpacking but we are working on that day by day, slowly but surely).

OCTOBER
Two Weird Things About Yesterday:
1) The internet went down in the entire county.
2) There was a 100% chance of rain according to the forecast for yesterday and it didn't rain at all.

NOVEMBER
In the past three-ish weeks I have:
*quit my job
*started a different job
*unpacked a lot more boxes
*got rid of stuff I don't need
*cleaned a lot
*rode my bicycle a significant amount
*read a lot
*worked on growing my hair
*sang to music and danced around my house
*went for loooong walks at the marsh and by my house - it's been so strangely warm
*mostly worked a lot as job transitioning is really energy- and time-consuming

DECEMBER
It started on Saturday. The wind has been blowing so hard that it sounds like waves crashing outside my window while I try to sleep at night. I live close to the ocean but not THAT close.


Well, that's it. Though I do think some of my best work was in the two months (March and April) that I was unemployed and had nothing better to do than think up things to post on my blog. As fun as that is, it doesn't appear to support the hobby of living. So what that means is that anyone still reading this blog by now is suffering in agony at how downhill it has gone, but I do have a bit more of a life than when my blog was really good. Maybe one day I'll learn how to balance the two.

Then again, probably not.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think you will find that balance. For me, it's going to take a bit of therapy, some good friends, the courage to take some risks, and a bit of faith in myself.

Whatever it is for you, I'm sure you'll find it.