Thursday, January 17, 2008

The details of this post are peculiar.

President Clinton came to town yesterday. He spoke to the 400 "elite" people of Humboldt County, whomever that may be (in this case it was the 400 people who managed to fit into the building). Most of the thousands of people who waited for hours in the cold went home dissatisfied.

I spent my evening purchasing a couch for my living room (finally!) and transporting it home. Although it would have been nice to catch a glimpse of the celebrity that is Bill Clinton, I have a fair-weather interest, and that means taking off half a day's work to wait in the very cold wind for hours on end only to have to either push my way in or to have waited in vain did not fit within the parameters of my curiosity.

Some people would call that lazy. I would call it smart.

In other news, the worst part about this week is that my hamster died, and the best part about today is that I brought my super comfortable office chair from home into work and it is awesome.

4 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

I'd call it smart, too. I waited for hours once in the heat (not cold) in Seattle with an Australian girl and a French guy to catch a glimpse of Bill Clinton. In the end, all I got to see was the tips of his fingers waving over the top of his stretch SUV. Oh well.

p.s. I'm really sorry about your hamster.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Thanks. I'm actually really sad about it. Even though it's just a hamster. OK, I wrote a thing about it, but didn't post it here. I'm pathetic. All over a hamster.

Charmingly Feisty said...

Losing pets is sad, don't feel weird about it. You should have seen me cry when my parakeet died! It wasn't even a cuddly parakeet that you could hold and pet.

Hugs to you on the loss of the little fuzzy.

My mom and dad got to shake hands with Clinton when he was here many years ago. They were pretty excited about it! They marked out their spot and waited a long time, too, and they had to argue with people who wanted to cut in front of them.

I haven't had any brushes with politicians myself.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Thanks, Sunny! I appreciate it. It just makes a person feel sort of like a failure, like I can't even manage to keep a rodent alive. But I'll be OK.