Sunday, June 17, 2007

I Walked

We have two city parks that I love; one is Sequoia Park in Eureka, within a mile of my house, and the other is Redwood Park in Arcata. I'm sure I've mentioned both.

This past week I walked. I worked, and I walked. Sunday I walked from my house to Sequoia Park, which is attached to the local zoo. I hung out with the black bear at the zoo, who was looking for some food at about 10 in the morning. He was smaller than I would have thought, as I have only seen him from the back of his "area" sleeping. Sunday, he walked right up to the front and looked at us onlookers like we had fish in hand that we were withholding. I walked through Sequoia Park down one of the trails through the woods to the duck pond, and after walking back up another trail out of the forest, I sat in the gazebo in the small garden on the other side of the zoo and talked to my grandma. I had walked for about two hours at this point but wasn't ready to stop walking. So I kept walking away from my house and ended up at the video store. I picked up two DVD's that I still as of today have not watched. They are due back tonight, but it's so nice out that I don't know if I'll get to them. I walked a total of four or so hours. It was so ... relaxing ... and relieving. Walking, in solitude, is the best way to get to know oneself, I have found. Walking in pairs, is the best way to get to know each other, I have found.

Monday night after work Mike and I walked from our house to Sequoia Park (Eureka). Tuesday night after work I went to Arcata to pick Mike up from his work and we went to Redwood Park (Arcata) and walked. Wednesday, Sequoia Park. Thursday, Sequoia. Friday, Redwood. Saturday, Grizzly Creek, which is somewhere else amazing altogether, save for the poison oak they have growing in spades.

Each walk on the trails was over an hour and sometimes two hours. Each walk was downhill as well as up. It was exhilerating. My muscles feel the results of such consistent walking. I had been walking everyday up until this point, but the length and the level was incredibily varied and sometimes the walk was no more than 15 minutes, and essentially on flat land, though that is hard in this hilly county in which I reside.

We are about to go for another walk. It's beautifully sunny here, and not too windy. I like the structure of an everyday job, but I live for the stress relief that is walking. Taking a moment at the top of the trail to stand and behold the huge trees and listen to the sounds of the birds, to reflect on how alive and beautiful the forest is...well, I'm having trouble finding the words, so just go find out for yourself. Your body and soul will thank you for it, I promise.

No comments: