Monday, July 23, 2007

Apartment Shopping and Ant Igloos of Death!

So we are full force apartment shopping. We really wanted this little blue house we found and could actually afford. But alas, the owner decided the fair thing to do was accept the first qualified applicant, though she assured us we were qualified, just not the first one.

We haven't found anything as cool, and it's getting increasingly hard essentially living in a college town and having the college students filter back in and snag every decent and affordable place. And still, we press on. Because I gotta get out of this house I'm in. I need my own space, sans roommates (except Mikey, he can stay).

So this evening I noticed a long trail of ants underneath the desk in our bedroom. ICK. So we go to the store and get some ant traps. There are literally hundreds of them. Ants, not traps. The four tiny ant traps look like little igloos. Mike put one under the desk.

"Stop obsessing on the ants," he says a few minutes later. I guess I was staring at them or something, daring them to go into the igloo of death.

There are so many other things I could have just posted about that are way more interesting, and yet I "obsessed" on the ants. Oh, well.

Here's something interesting; I'm actually going to finish Great Expectations! That book is long! And I'll admit I wasn't reading it everyday. But I'm nearing the end. Like the last 20 pages or so! And then I get to read another book, which is so exciting.

Oh yeah, but back to apartment shopping. It's tough here in Humboldt. I never had such a hard time finding a place as I have here. Rent seems relatively inexpensive around here, so that's not the issue. But the second something is listed in the paper, someone snatches it up. We have circled and driven by and called on so many places just to be told that it "just got rented." I mean, how do you get that edge? Does someone have an inside connection in the Classifieds or something?

All we can do is keep on keepin' on. Hope you are too.

2 comments:

Charmingly Feisty said...

How do you like Great Expectations? I got almost halfway through and couldn't finish it. If it's the one I'm thinking of, he visits this weird old woman and develops a crush on some other weird young woman? I'm so literary sometimes, but -ok- it's been about 5 years since I tried to read it.

I'll be sending you apartment vibes -- do you think the new Harry Potter has a spell for finding a great place?

My word verification of the day is "ziwmoou". Those crack me up.

West Coast Midwestern said...

That's the one. And then he comes into some money from a secret benefactor, and every clue of the book points to it being the weird old woman, who was a jilted bride who lived out the remainder of her days hating men and training her adopted daughter how to lead men on in order to exact her own revenge... and then there are all kinds of twists! and turns! and it's crazy! Yet interesting. I've been interested in the book throughout, but I do feel like Dickens' is the wordiest author I've ever read. It takes him five chapters to relate what others might have related in two. Though his writing style is quite funny and clever.

Thanks for the vibes. Still have not found an apartment, though we've been shown the inside of about four or five and driven by and called about a dozen or two, at least. We've filled out at least five applications for five different places too. The market is really different around here. I never had so much trouble finding an apartment as I have here. Just when you think you've found one, viewed the inside, filled out the application, then all of a sudden it's gone. It's so weird.