Tuesday, April 21, 2009

ZITS.

ZITS.

People don’t talk about them. They are taboo. They are mortifyingly embarrassing, and they are a real thing that millions of people deal with. So I think talking about them is necessary to helping to get rid of them, to being our healthiest selves.

I have had zits since I moved here. It’s been embarrassing, a nuisance, something I hoped would calm down once I had my life more together. Moving is, after all, a strain. Moving across the country doubly so.

Only, they did not get better. In fact, over time they got worse and worse, until last December, I became a true shut-in. I refused to go to the grocery store unless it was an “off time” when I knew there would be little traffic. I stopped making eye contact and conversation with the cashiers. I became very unpleasant, probably coming off as snobbish, due to my complete and utter mortification at being in public with such a nasty complexion. I already worked at home, so I just refused to leave the house unless absolutely necessary.

Make-up did nothing to cover them, if anything it made them appear worse. I was paranoid that people would think I was not taking care of myself, not hygienic or healthy, or worse, on drugs. There is quite a problem with speed around here, and the open sores on speed-addicted people’s faces are heartbreakingly awful. I am not on drugs, but I did have a face full of open sores too, deep, painful, cystic acne that took weeks to resolve itself just as a new crop was emerging.

I researched and tried things in an attempt to heal my acne. I had not personally had any success with a dermatologist in the past, and without health insurance was skeptical of shelling out money to someone who was only going to tell me to “not scrub so much” (I wasn’t), to use benzoyl peroxide (tried it) or salicylic acid. (Don’t you think I would try everything in my power to heal this horrible painful rashy disease growing on my face?) I left my skin alone. I tried to wash with olive oil. I changed what I ate to only very healthy items. I started a food diary (which I am still keeping to this day because it’s very helpful in general when figuring out what is going on with my body and trying to be in tune to it), I went for long walks every day, I got my 10-minutes of sun, I ate a piece of citrus fruit every day, I stopped eating gluten, I minimized my dairy intake… I. TRIED. EVERYTHING I could find to do in my personal research. And as the days went by and my skin only got worse, I became more and more anxious about it.

How can I, after all, be a successful artist rep when I cannot get myself out there to actually represent?

This was a problem.

Mike was wonderful about it, telling me I was beautiful everyday, but it didn’t matter. I still felt hideously ugly in front of my beloved, the one who I want to look the most beautiful for (after myself of course)! And weekends with the kids were brutal too; every time one of them would look at me and say something to me I just wanted to scream, “LOOK AWAY! DON’T STARE AT ME. YOUR EYES WILL BLEED!”

I’m sure some of you might think I’m being melodramatic, but I actually am not. I started to take photographs of my face to gauge if it was getting better or worse, and I am here to tell you those photos are very telling. My skin was truly awful, uglier than any of you can probably imagine. I am never going to share those photos with anyone. I hope to destroy most of them in the very near future.

A turning point was when my next door neighbor, being the wonderfully outspoken man that he is, knocked on my door in the middle of January to ask me a question. I contemplated not answering. But I knew that he knew that I was there, and that he knew I knew that he knew. (Did ya get that?) I had no excuse.

I answered it.

“Naomi! What has happened to your beautiful face?” he exclaimed.

The tears started streaming down my face. I didn’t know what to say. I just shook my head.

He said, “Have you gone to the doctor?”

I shook my head again.

“Go! Do you go to the Clinic?”

I nodded.

“Call them. Today. They can help you… I’m going to check up on you tomorrow, okay? This is a spiritual test for you. You have to project your inner beauty out to people. You are still in there. But you can do it. And you need to go to the doctor so they can help you.”*

So I did.

And I was very fortunate. The person who was available to see me was not only a very nice person, but she was someone who had personally struggled with adult acne, so she was empathetic. She understood why it was hard for me to come in and see her, why I felt foolish for not being able to heal my own acne issues. She understood.

And so three months ago we started a regimen. Some medication, some yoga, a combination of things, and then I had monthly appointments with her to check back in, and tweak the plan if necessary. She gave me hope most of all, because she has such beautiful skin I could not believe that she ever had the terrible problems I have been having.

And now my skin, for the first time since I have lived here, is getting clear, and truly healing. I have no cysts on my face! NONE! It’s been this way for weeks! The skin is pink as it heals, and for the first time in months, I can actually wear make-up! I feel beautiful again. I feel like a whole person again. I feel like I have my life back.

And yesterday when I was working the crowd, talking to people about something I love, Mike’s glass, the beauty of it was not lost on me. I am back! And better than ever! (So, watch out, World!)

I have read more on acne than anyone probably ever wants to, and some of the things I have learned include that medical professionals still don’t fully understand why this happens to some people. It’s almost never due to poor hygiene; it’s usually due to genetics, and hormones. Stress is not a cause of acne, but it can definitely exacerbate it, which can then lead to more stress, and so on, and you can see how the vicious cycle gets started. Food is not thought to cause acne, though it might have a small part. The most frustrating thing is that it is almost always a combination of many different things, and for each person it is a totally and completely different combination of factors. The challenge is to find your own personal combination of contributing factors, and work with an excellent medical professional, like I did, to solve it. There is no miracle cure, no "magic potion." But with time, serious attention, and lots of patience, it can be solved.

I thought long and hard before posting this – such personal information – on my public blog. Ultimately I decided that I needed to speak out on it, how it affected every aspect of my life for a long while, how people would politely pretend they didn’t see it right down to the nurse checking me in for the first time saying nervously, “So you are here for a … rash…?” and when I said “acne” she quickly shut my file, got very flustered, and tripped over her own shoes on the way out the door, muttering that the doctor would be with me shortly. We as a society are just too embarrassed to acknowledge it. The nurse was trying to be polite, and I understand and appreciate it. It would have been a lot harder to deal with if people pointed and laughed at me, I am sure of that. But I don’t want to be silent about a very real experience for me, because if it really is genetics, then I would like to know who in my family had a struggle similar to this, if anyone.

No, I do not expect anyone to post it on my blog (but you are welcome to). But maybe the next time we talk on the phone you could let me know. Or maybe you could send me an email, or a letter. Because, you are not alone in your struggle, there is help for you, and there is a support network for you, starting with little old me. I promise that I would keep your information confidential, it would be only between you and me (unless you posted it in the comment section here, of course).

*Have you noticed yet what an absolutely wonderful person my next door neighbor is? I am truly going to miss being his neighbor when we move, and fully intend on keeping in touch with him. He is wonderful.

11 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

Thank you for writing this, Naomi. I've always struggled with hormonal break-outs (and by 'hormonal' I mean 'three weeks a month'). Like you, I have tried every.thing.imaginable. I drink ass tons of water, I use every moisturizer, exfoliant, cleanser, and medicated cream known to mankind, I get enough sleep, etc.

For years, every three weeks my skin would clear up and I would assume that whatever new regimen I was on that week was the cause. Hallelujah! I'd think, I've found a cure! And then the next week, I'd break out all over again and not undestand why.

It took me years to figure out what should have been obvious-- it's tied to my monthly cycle. I get a week of clear skin and three weeks of looking like a teenager. Every single month. It sucks.

And the worst part, as you mentioned, is the feeling that people will think I'm not CLEAN. My god, I am so clean it is RIDICULOUS. I have so many skin products that they can't even all fit in my medicine cabinet. No, it's just another of the many trials of being a woman. The only thing that will probably help is having a baby or going on birth control. And then I'll have a whole new set of issues. :)

West Coast Midwestern said...

Thanks, Laurie, for posting, and OMG, I understand every word of what you wrote!

One part of my regimen includes a specific birth control pill that is known for helping to regulate the cycle and thus clear up acne. For me, being in a long-term committed relationship and not ready to make a baby together, a birth-control pill is a good choice anyway. But if you don't have to be on it, I understand the hesitation.

With that said, you might want to consider it. It's just not worth the constant struggle with acne.

P.S. I have never noticed a zit on your face, I swear!

Laurie Stark said...

My problem with birth control is that every kind I've tried, even the low-estrogen ones, have made me a craaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy person. Of course, I was in a relationship in each case, so maybe it was actually the relationship that was making me crazy. SEVERAL POSSIBILITIES HERE.

I may try it again someday! In the meantime, I'm just hoping for a miracle.

West Coast Midwestern said...

The one I'm on (I just emailed you more about it privately) is the lowest-estrogen one on the market. I believe it's worth a second look, but of course, only you can know that for sure. I am benefiting from it, and so I am eager to talk it up, you know?

West Coast Midwestern said...

P.S. Also, like I said in my email, relationships are hard yo.

mle said...

Thanks Naomi! I had hoped that my face would clear up once I hit my 20's but it got worse. I recently hoped that since I was pregnant it would get better but that didn't help either, actually it's a lot worse. I'm glad you found something that works! I'm hoping that after the baby my face will clear up. That's wonderful too that Mike was supportive while you were struggling, there's nothing like having the support of your best friend through trying times.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Thanks for your thoughts, MLE!

See, just when I thought how utterly alone I was in this struggle - that's why I think it's good to talk about it publicly. It helps me to get over myself in addition to hopefully helping others too!

I have read that skin can get a lot worse during pregnancy. I hope it clears up for you soon!

And you are right that it is always very helpful to have the support of your very best friend. It's the support I want the most! And I really do have a wonderful best friend. He has been very patient, and he has never made me feel badly about things I wasn't doing due to how self-conscious and embarrassed I felt. Not one time. That is a huge amount of patience, in my opinion.

Unknown said...

Hi, I just stumbled on your blog because I am a midwestern (Minneapolis via a small Wisconsin town) who is moving out to Humboldt/Lost Coast next year.

Also, I have a theory about high-fructose corn syrup, because when I stopped drinking soda my adult acne cleared up. In periods where I have totally cut out corn syrup it has just about vanished, but it is very hard to totally cut it all out.

I'm not saying it is a major cause, but I think some connection is there.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Hey, noise bursts, welcome to Humboldt, when you get here! It's fabulous here. What brings you this way?

Thanks for the post, and I definitely agree with you that certain things our bodies are just not meant to process. I avoid high fructose corn syrup like the plague (and my fiance and stepson just roll their eyes at me - they don't understand what the big deal is!) but corn syrup is in EVERYTHING! Still, I do my best to limit corn syrup as well. Moderation has been my main key in all foods, which is a good basic principle that is easy in concept to follow.

My skin issues also had a lot to do with a mold problem we had in our previous living space. I didn't realize until I moved out of the space how bad it all was. I couldn't breathe at all - and now though I still have seasonal allergies I can breathe much better in my new home. So, you think about it, if I couldn't breathe, my skin couldn't breathe either.

That's the principle behind why yoga is helping. The deep breathing gets oxygen into the parts of the body that need it. That and it helps with de-stressing, all factors in alleviating adult acne.

Thanks again, and maybe let me know when you get to town - I'd love to show a fellow Midwestern around. :-)

Unknown said...

I'm just a person from Cornell Wisconsin who went to college and moved to Minneapolis and now halfway through life is disillusioned with the rat race and has just gone through the loss of an 11 year relationship and has kind of taken stock and decided that I don't want to spend the rest of my life in the midwest.

I've been up through the Eureka/Arcata area and always loved the beauty of it. It's where I want to spend the rest of my life. I just need to economically regroup and recover from the relationship wreckage and then I'm downshifting to a different life. The rat race chewed me up and spat me out and I want a different life.

Every time I have ever been through Northern California I caught myself wishing that I lived there. Now the situation has come up and I need to grab the opportunity before it is too late.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Well, you are definitely coming to the right place. This is a very different way of life out here, and like a group of kind strangers told me years ago when I first came out to visit, it's "a good place to heal."