Wednesday, May 28, 2008

HELP - What do I Wear in Wisconsin Weather?

I have no idea how to pack for this trip! I completely forgot what the weather in Wisconsin is like this time of year! And Humboldt County weather weirdness has left me scarred for life! Somebody help me!

What are you people wearing these days?

Speaking of which, yesterday my boss gave me some "advice", which was basically twofold, basically unsolicited (OK, sort of solicited, but not REALLY), and basically contradictory, well at least I think so. But here, this is what he basically said, and YOU decide what it is:

'First, you are a bright young woman, and you are very skilled. You will go far in life, if you just have some confidence in yourself. Just make decisions, and don't worry so much if they are the right ones or not. You can't make everyone happy, and you WILL make mistakes, so just have the confidence to make your own decisions and then go with them.'

So that is cool, right? I like that advice. But then he said this:

'Some future advice you can either take or leave is this: this is a professional office, and you generally don't dress appropriately. I know I have been lax about this, because I have never before said anything about it, and I know that I often wear jeans into the office, but you dress weird, and people have commented to me about it, so if you think you are going to go far in life you need to start dressing more like other people.'

OK, so those weren't his EXACT words, not all of them, but I am serious that this is what he said. He didn't necessarily use the word "weird" but might as well have.

So now I'm confused, am I supposed to make my own decisions and go with them, or am I supposed to do what other people think I should do when it comes to how I dress? Or maybe the first advice is not applicable to the second advice? Oh man oh man oh man, what do I do?

P.S. If you saw how many, if not most, people in Humboldt dress, you might be a little offended by this advice. I was at first, but now I decided to take it as a compliment. And I also decided not to change it. I like it, so there! How's that for confidence, baby?

BUT SERIOUSLY WHAT SHOULD I WEAR IN WISCONSIN?

3 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

Ok, the first piece of advice sounded right on, but the second piece was just bizarre. What could you possibly be wearing that would be less professional than jeans? A chicken suit? Because it is really not appropriate to wear a chicken suit to the office, Naomi.

As far as Wisconsin, you might already be on the plane, but if you're still around I will tell you that the weather here is as crazy as it's always been. Sometimes it's so hot that I can barely stand to wear clothes at all and other times I have to break out the winter coat even though it's almost June. Most of the time I wear jeans, flip flops, a short-sleeved shirt, and a hooded sweatshirt (which I have to take off in the sun).

See you sooooooon!

West Coast Midwestern said...

How did you know it was a chicken suit! No, but seriously, I have no idea. He also said something about it not always matching ... I really don't know at all seriously, because in the past few months I have been wearing a lot of skirts and not jeans at all, so I really just couldn't tell you what the hell he was trying to tell me. I think he was grasping at straws to be critical of something. Or maybe my clothes just don't always match. Whatever.

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, thanks, Laurie, for the clothing info, it is so helpful, and I'm not yet on the plane, but I am packing my suitcase right now ... no wait, I'm posting comments on my blog. So yeah, I gotta go. See you soon!

Charmingly Feisty said...

Maybe he means you're supposed to be dressing in a way that is attractive to him? Maybe you could ask him to be more specific? That just sounded weird.

I don't remember you looking particularly strange when you lived here.

I haven't the faintest idea of what you should wear here. It changes from day to day, like shorts one day and a sweater the next, but from what your boss said you probably wear shorts with a sweater anyway, so...