Monday, August 11, 2008

A Memory that has Served me Well

When Mike and I were packing up my things to move me out to California, he asked me if he could get rid of all the mismatched flatware*, since there was plenty of matching flatware**. I wouldn't let him, and told him if he wanted to get rid of some of the quantity of spoons, knives and forks that I had, the matched would have to go. I love my mismatched flatware, and I think it's far more interesting on the table than a set that matches. That's just "too matchy matchy" for me, as my mom and sisters say (you do too, Sisters, I've heard you. It's OK, I say it too).

This conversation occurred well over a year ago, and yet the recollection of it still makes me smile every time I'm washing or drying spoons and knives and forks (which is, like, ALL THE TIME).

*As a side story to the one above (and also how I came to possess both mismatched AND matched flatware), when I was first moving out of my parents' house, Mom and I went to the Johnson Creek Outlet Mall together and picked out interesting designed spoons, forks, and knives, sold as individual pieces in sale bins at the Oneida store. We had a lot of fun, and I have some really cool pieces, especially the butter knives! When I set a table I try not to have two of the same of anything. Just for fun.
**(And WHY do I have such a large quantity of flatware?) At some point my mother gave me her old matching set of flatware, which is lovely, just not my eclectic style.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

it could be that the matching flatware went to your brother when he moved out first and then when he got married he and his bride picked out something together and had no need for the old matchy matchy stuff any more

West Coast Midwestern said...

Hmmmmm, interesting point.

Laurie Stark said...

I know what you mean! So many of my friends are getting married, which means that they're getting lots of new matching dishes and flatware & I know it's their choice, but there's part of me that feels kind of bad for them! We always had mismatched dishes and flatware growing up and it just doesn't feel like home to me otherwise.