Friday, August 1, 2008

Thieves are Jerks

Mike's bike got stolen earlier this week, and it's super bad timing now that I'm driving up to McKinleyville to run this gallery and he has been riding my bicycle all week, which is fine with me, but I know he doesn't like my bike at all (it has has crazy awesome shocks that make it comfortable to ride but also very bouncy). So, I know it's his own fault for leaving his bike outside unlocked, but still, thieves are stupid jerks, especially ones who steal someone's bicycle right off their own driveway in front of their own house while they are sleeping.

Just wanted to say I have no respect for people who steal, even if they need it. Though I know that if someone knocked on my door and asked for it, I would be really skeptical about giving it to them. So, there you go. I don't know what to think about all of this.

Mike's not even mad. He just says, "It's my own fault that it got stolen; guess I'll have to build myself another one." Maybe I should take a lesson from that attitude.

4 comments:

Charmingly Feisty said...

You know, it's ultimately the fault of the asshole who stole it, but at least Mike has a good attitude about it.

It sucks even more that that is his main form of transportation.

Son once left a boom box and a bunch of CDs in my car, and I didn't know it so didn't lock the car. The stuff was stolen overnight. He blamed me, like I was supposed to read his mind or something. So that's my rotten thief story. There are still tons of burglaries from cars around here.

Laurie Stark said...

Oh man, that sucks! I mean, I guess you're both right Thievery definitely sucks and I don't think it's fair to say it's Mike's "fault" since he should be able to leave his own belongings wherever he wants without fear of stealing.

But, at the same time, Mike's attitude is definitely a good one! Getting worked up about things and identifying as a victim is probably not a healthy or helpful approach. It's just a material thing!

West Coast Midwestern said...

Yeah, you are right about that, it is the fault of the asshole who took it.

That sucks about your car and your son's things. They are hard lessons to learn, when things get stolen from your car. Locking your car wouldn't have guaranteed the cd's were safe; my purse and my sister's were stolen out of my locked car AND the windows were busted. So, really, you could have pointed that out to your son, but that's neither here nor there, as it is in the past and out of everyone's control.

Well, we get by without two cars; it's much more manageable that way with the price of car insurance and gas around here, but it was just super bad timing, because I was working at home and riding my bicycle to run errands and Mike was riding his bike the two miles to his work and back, and we were conserving energy and saving money on gas that way (and getting some exercise). Then I got the job at the gallery and I need the car for that since it is the next town up (though if this job pans out I'm going to check the bus schedule and see if I can go that route - I love the bus! - and then Mike can use my car and I can use my bike until he gets a bike again). So it was just really poor timing that someone took his bike just when I was going to be driving away into the sunset or to the next town or what-not.

Oh, well, you win some, you lose some. That's something Mike is fond of pointing out. He's got a really good outlook on life, ultimately. This one has a lot to learn from him. (He says it comes with age, lol, like he's so ancient and wise compared to me.)

West Coast Midwestern said...

And yeah, you are absolutely right, Ms. Overcoat, it is just a material thing. See, you are just as wise as Mike! I knew it didn't have to only come with age (meaning, there's hope for me yet).