Thursday, August 28, 2008

'Tis the Season of the Music Festival

This Saturday is the Blues by the Bay Festival, for which I will be a "Volunteer Site Manager." Last night there was a "Volunteer Orientation" meeting and my volunteers from last year were concerned that I had gotten demoted. That made me laugh. I reassured them that I had not been demoted, I had willingly given away my assistant director position and hoped to actually be able to enjoy the music and goings-on this year instead of only having time to run around with my walkie talkie and fix problems.

Although the current assistant director informed me that I would indeed have a walkie talkie as she might "need me." Oh boy. You know, I really love it though. I'm excited and very much looking forward to seeing everyone from last year again, and meeting a bunch of new people. Good times, great blues, yeah yeah the blues is alright!

Sunday, Mike and I head to "Dimmick Ranch," an hour or two southeast of us, to see Willie Nelson! We will be staying overnight in a tent! So I guess you would call that "camping." I bought myself a "self-inflating camping air mattress," which if you would like to know what "self-inflating" means, it means INFLATE IT YOUR OWN DAMN SELF. I joked to Mike that that would be a good use for all of my hot air, and he just nodded at me wide-eyed with a very serious look on his face. I had Josh and Kaya try it out for me when they were at our house and they reported that it is far more comfortable than sleeping on the floor. YES. That's exactly the effect I was going for. (Although they both insist they actually like sleeping on the floor, I remain suspicious of this fact. Mike tells me it's a "kid thing.")

Then the next weekend, September 7, will be the aforementioned "Woofstock," for which I will be a stage hand (that means: get things for the bands). And then the weekend after that will be "Earthdance."

I am so psyched about Earthdance. Last year it was so unknown to me that I was a bit too anxious about it all. Now I know exactly what to expect, and I know the gang that will be on my crew, which is background security, a lot of fun and truth be told a pretty privileged crew.

You know, I would have never guessed that in moving to California I would end up being wrapped up in all of these music festivals, but I have to admit I just love it. My grasp of how to put on a festival is now much more advanced than I ever might have guessed. It's skill-building in addition to being thrilling and challenging, and in addition to the absolutely gorgeous warm sunny weather that so far this time of year has graced me with, I just love this time of year because of the the music festivals!

And really, there are literally dozens of festivals that I miss out on every year, because there are just so many big festivals around here that there are too many to participate in. So, I guess if I really wanted to, I could make a career out of this. It's an actual option... and if I have learned ONE THING in life it is that you never completely know what path your life is going to take...

(The fact is I never would have guessed I'd be going to a Willie Nelson concert, if I were thinking about it.)

2 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

This post is hilarious! Good luck with the "self-inflating" mattress! And bring an extra blanket-- those things can be cold to sleep on outside! They don't really hold warmth like a real mattress does.

West Coast Midwestern said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the post, as its intended purpose was to entertain as well as inform! And thanks for the tip! I will be sure to have several blankets - I am not what you might call a "light camper."