Sunday, July 20, 2008

People's Paper Trails and No Postage Necessary

It's only taken me a year and a half, but I have finally gone and done it. It took me the entire weekend thus far, but I already feel like a new person. An organized person. A person whose entire existence can be summed up by looking through a single crate filled with hanging files, folders with labels, placed in alphabetical order, containers for every important piece of paper, from birth certificates and car titles to bank and credit card statements. In the process of doing this, I have made more space in my apartment, and I have filled two brown paper bags with pieces of paper to be recycled, items that I have been hanging on to for the apparently sole reason of consuming my living space. Not any more! Die, paper, die! Or be recycled... or something. Uh... anyway...

As I tackled this overwhelming project, I came across numerous envelopes from "pre-approved" credit card applications to magical-cure-all-elixir solicitations that contain the following words in the upper right corner, where the stamp normally goes: NO POSTAGE NECESSARY IF MAILED IN THE UNITED STATES. Now, is it just me, or do you have the urge to mail random crap to these companies? Because I do. I haven't done it yet, mostly because I fear it's an underpaid peon who has to process these requests (read: open the envelopes, and remove whatever junk is in them). But, then the company has to pay the postage, which if enough people did this enough times, it might actually cause a dent in their bottomless pocketbooks, right? Much like how they prey on the innocent by giving them unlimited credit limits (there's an oxymoron) attached to HUGE interest rates? Is this wrong? I'm still on the fence, so for now I will behave. For now.

As a helpful tip from my heart to yours, the key to completing this seemingly undoable project is to just handle one piece of paper at a time, take breaks for eating and sleeping and exercising, read a book or do a dance when you feel like you can't take it anymore, and Voila! It's amazing the amount of progress I have made just following this simple method. You, too, can have personal organization for only $9.99 a month plus extra verbiage in tiny print that will steal your soul if you let it... oops, got carried away there for a minute... can you tell I have been opening up lots of junk mail lately?

Well, anyway, I do have a bit more filing to do, while I'm on such a roll here... Happy Paper Trails to You (until we meet again)!

3 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

Hee hee, this post was funny. And I'm envious of your highly organized paper life! Mine is a disaster at the moment, with half of my important papers still at my mother's house. Seriously? Am I a grown up?

Charmingly Feisty said...

I am envious as well. I've been meaning to organize my files literally for years.

I still have stuff at my moms too, it's such a convenient place. It's not in MY way, and I know right where it is. Works for me, haha.

Your post reminds me of how I always toss junk mail, except for one day when I just had a feeling I should open one. It was a survey, and they included a dollar bill for your trouble. Cool, huh? Makes me think twice now but I still usually just toss the junk.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Well! And all this time I thought I was out of style because of this mess of papers situation I was in. And then come to find out that it's in vogue, and this newly organized moi is very unfashionable!

E, I always open junk mail so I can shred stuff with personal info on it - credit card solicitations put every piece of information they can think of to facilitate identity thieves in their endeavors, apparently. That's cool that you found a dollar though. I only find boring stuff in my junk mail.