Tuesday, July 29, 2008

So I Got Another Job

So, I wasn't even trying to get a job, though I was thinking how working at home all the time, while it's awesomely convenient and I get lots of housework down and time to exercise (which is brilliant!) and I eat healthier and cheaper and am earning more than I earned at my last job, can also be lonely. But, I mean, I didn't even say that aloud. I just thought it.

And then our glassblower friend called and asked if I was available to come into a local gallery and talk to the owners about the possibility of running the gallery while still doing my own business at their gallery instead of at home. So I went in to talk to them. And I start tomorrow. (They had an employee, but she accepted another job instead.)

So I am now an employee of Front Gallery; I run the shop. Plus I still run my other business while I am at the gallery. I'm excited; it feels like something that has the potential to be really great.

5 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

Congratulations, that sounds so awesome!!

Charmingly Feisty said...

Neato, congratulations! What is the work you've been doing at home? I think I missed something.

West Coast Midwestern said...

You didn't *really* miss anything, as I didn't *really* make it very clear about what is going on/i.e. didn't make a big announcement about it like I do with so many other, many times unimportant information about my life (see "I Won Mancala plus pictures" for reference). I just used clues here and there to allude to what was going on with me professionally.

Here's the story, from the horse's mouth:
In May, right before coming out to Wisconsin to visit, I left my job at the festival office to pursue my own business with Mike in the glass art business. We have been doing really well with it so far, though there's a lot of start-up stuff to deal with before everything is smooth sailing. But Mike's art is really taking off and we agreed that he needed a business-savvy person to run everything else. So, that has been me. It's been quite a learning experience. And super exciting. And a lot of work. But also a lot of fun.

I'm still volunteering at the festival job and on very good terms with them.

This new gig is basically me helping out a friend of a friend with their brand-new gallery. They need someone to run the store and the person they thought was going to do it fell through. We came to an agreement that I can run the store, until further notice (i.e. on a trial period to see if I really like it) while still running my own business during down time while I'm at the gallery. Since this is a brand-new business there is going to be a lot of down time initially until people get the idea that it's there. But it's never going to go anywhere if it's not open, so I'm there to keep it open.

It works out well for everyone, so far anyway. :-)

So now do you feel a little bit more in the loop? I know I do.

Charmingly Feisty said...

Haha, yes, I feel more in the loop. I wondered if you were 'in business' with Mike but didn't want to make any assumptions. :)

You're doing darned well for yourself, woman, you know that, right?

West Coast Midwestern said...

Aw, thanks, Sunny One, I surely try. I try and try and try until I am practically blue in the face. So, it's nice when some of that trying seems to pay off - I'm sure we all know the feeling well!