Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Sunday, May 13)

Mike went to work. I stayed home and watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. On DVD. It was soooooo good. I love it.

It was so crazy and beautiful and funny and scary (not scary scary, but a little scary). Starts at the end. Then the story of them, their love story, is told via Jim Carey's memories. At some point, even though he hired this man to take his ex-girlfriend (Kate Winslet) from his memory, he changes his mind and decides he needs to keep the memory of her. But he is sedated so he can't wake up to tell the "doctor" to stop erasing his memory. So he takes her (Winslet) and starts "hiding" her in memories she never occurred in, like from his childhood.

Also because much/most of the movie is taking place in his dreams there is crazy dreamlike stuff happening, things and people disappearing and reappearing, scenes flip-flopping and changing, very strange and broken continuity. Makes for interesting presentation.

I don't think I gave away too much since this movie is like four years old or something and that means, I'm quite sure, that I'm one of the last people to have seen it. My friend Nick kept telling me it was one of his ultimate favorite movies, and that I should watch it. I think we even attempted to watch it once. But now that I've seen it and felt like I could really relate to the impulsive and neurotic Kate Winslet character, I am paranoid that Nick recommended the movie to me because he thinks I'm crazy like her.

Whatever. I'm over it.

I also watched Sideways. It made me want to drive around California and taste wine.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sideways is hilarious. :)
I LOVE reading your blogs! You write so well and it's good to know you're happy and loving Cali.
*muah*
Bets'

West Coast Midwestern said...

I love that you love reading my blogs. Miss you!!!

Laurie Stark said...

I don't remember much about Sideways except that it made me really mad for some reason and I can't remember why. I watched with Chris and Luke and a girl that Luke was dating at the time and we all drank wine out of mason jars and the movie was funny but something about it really annoyed Chris and me. I wish I could remember what it was.

I hated Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but I have no idea why. Everyone else in the world loves it and I don't have any reasoned critical analysis for you. I think it just really upset me. But I saw it a long time ago and only once so I might feel differently now. I hated American Beauty for the same reason.