Monday, May 14, 2007

The Farmers Market (Saturday, May 12)

Set alarm for 6AM. Hit snooze for approximately 1 hour 20 min. Got dressed, washed face. Took Mike to bus stop for the 7:48AM bus. Bus schedule informed him that the first Saturday bus is at 9:50AM (this is why I waited for him even though he told me I could just drop him off). Went back home. Packed up shoulder bag and laptop. Brushed teeth. Left house at 8:30. Dropped Mike off at work. Parked at Arcata Co-op. Purchased "ready to eat" wrap made up of filafel, hummus, cabbage - YUM - fresh organic strawberries - amazing - bottle of Venatura red table wine - for later - Naturtine dark brown hair dye (expensive at $15.39 but healthy for me and earth), yummy mix of cashews and choco chips and raisins and peanuts called "Good Stuff" in the bulk foods section. Still not a member of the co-op, but brought my own cloth bag so that was my redeeming value/thing.

Next I parked a few blocks off the square and walked to farmers market. Things for sale: carrots, leeks, strawberries, lettuces, cabbages, spinach, asparagus, herbs, cacti, flowers, plants, trees. Had two women comment on my Made in Wisconsin shirt and said they were too - one from LaCrosse, the other ran away without specifying after grabbing my hand and saying "me too!" I had a mouthful of hummus and filafel and couldn't do much besides smile close-lipped and hope it came across that way (as opposed to a grimace, which seems more likely considering how quickly she turned and disappeared into the crowd).

After gazing longingly at the raspberry cheese danishes provided by Los Bagels at the center of the market, and deciding I'd purchased enough food already, I walked the two blocks to Sacred Grounds, where now I sit enjoying a delicious fresh cup of coffee (light roast) with brown sugar and half-n-half, having snagged the last cushy chair in the house. Coffee is one thing. I can justify coffee. Danishes, not so much.

11:13AM

A woman I would guess to be in her late 40's to early 50's approached me in the coffee shop. "Wisconsin? Really?!" She was born and raised in Ashland and has been here since 1975. Always goes back for visits. "Welcome to northern California," she said. Friendly conversational strangers make this world a much better place.

1:14PM

Sat and listened to Magnolia (rhythm and blues type band, including a guitar, drums, cello, alto sax and violin, lead vocals female, everyone looked mid 40's and older, did lots of Tracy Chapman covers but also a lot of their own music, had the crowd dancing) at farmers market for about 30 minutes. Then purchased a couple of tamales at a stand (Loleta jack cheese and black beans, side of mole sauce) to take back to the studio for Mike and me.

5:43PM

Rode my bike back to Sacred Grounds where now I sit. It's so windy outside, hard to ride. Spilled coffee all over my journal and decided to read my book instead. Coffee spillage unrelated to the windiness outside.

6:13PM

Layers upon layers of clothing. That's how people dress around here. Like RIDICULOUS amounts of layering. I frequently see both men and women with about three pairs of pants, women often have two or more skirts over their pants. And then there are the shirts. Oh, don't get me started on the shirts. I only have two on at the moment. Two! What was I thinking?

1 comment:

Laurie Stark said...

Maybe I should move to California, it sounds like my wardrobe would fit right in.

p.s. I'm so glad that you have that shirt, that's cool that those people all came up to you!