Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Mysterious Mouse Issues and Many Musings

Yesterday my mouse mysteriously quit working, which made it totally impossible to do marble layouts for eBay. It turns out that the mouse is absolutely necessary for many many computer functions. This is an incredibly interesting and frustrating realization, especially when your only working mouse stops working.

Luckily, upon getting home I replaced the battery and it worked again. Whew.

So, now it's another day and I've already had a lovely one. I woke up sort of late for me, so I did my morning walk before I was even fully awake. It was tough. I felt like there was a giant hand pushing on my chest, trying to get me to stop walking. So, I came up with a plan of attack, and implemented it. That was incredibly wordy when all I was trying to say is that I visualized a giant hand pushing on my back to help me walk easier. It worked. But there is a lot to be said for a warmed-up, coffee-filled body. It works much better, I must say.

So, I got back home and got ready to meet my neighbor at his office, which is on the Arcata town square (here we call it "The Plaza," and it's just fantastic). I am working part time for a couple of weeks as his assistant to help him reorganize his office. Organizing things happens to be one of my fortes, plus a little extra money never hurts. We worked for a few hours and then ate a delicious picnic lunch out on one of the park benches on The Plaza. My neighbor packed the lunch as a surprise. It was so nice!

While eating our lunch we met and talked with a lady whose from Mazatlan, moved to San Francisco over 50 years ago to marry her husband who was a Mexican also but had an American parent and so was raised in San Francisco, and now today she is visiting Humboldt County. She had such great stories to tell, and a wonderful spirit. After 30 minutes of sitting and listening to her stories, and laughing along with her, I wished we could stay longer. But alas, we had more work to do. Her name was the Spanish word for "help."

Once I was done working with my neighbor I had about an hour to spare before having to be at the gallery. So I walked the half mile or so to Mike's studio, where my car was parked. Along the way I realized it was Wednesday! Yay! (That means the new North Coast Journal is out.) So I picked up a copy at the NCJ's Headquarters, which is on the same street as Mike's studio. A couple of ladies were walking toward me on a narrow sidewalk and it became apparent that we wouldn't all fit if they continued to walk side by side. They moved into single file, and I flashed them a big grin to show my appreciation. They flashed big smiles back, and it's just incredible to me how something as simple as smiling at strangers can immediately lift your spirits. So, by this point my spirits were pretty high up there.

A little further down the road is the Scrap Heap. Okay, I don't know what it is really called, but it is a lot of metal scraps, old bicycles, a boat every once in a while... this is where there is usually a group of working men hauling and organizing this metal heap. So, I'm strolling along feeling very grateful for the warmth and the sunshine, wishing I had sandals on instead of socks and shoes, and I hear, "How are you, Beautiful?" I turn to my right from where the voice came and this handsome Latino boy is smiling at me. I flash him a smile back and keep on walking.

And yeah, it felt good. I mean, who doesn't like a compliment? Especially from a cute boy? (He looked to be about 18.)

So, I got to Mike's work, and kidnapped him for a bit. They were out of oxygen anyway and waiting for the oxygen man to bring them a new tank so they can get back to working glass. In the meantime we ran home (fine, we drove) and made some more coffee, had a quick lunch, and then I dropped him back off, and up to the gallery I came.

And now, here I am, my mouse works again, and I really do have to get some work done. The sun is shining, I switched my shoes for some flip flops, and I'm wearing one of my favorite tee-shirts. And, my jeans are getting to be too big. La la. The day is good. I hope yours is too.

xoxo

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

One day when I googled "Humboldt Crud" I came upon your blog. I, too, am from the midwest (Ohio). Many, many years ago I packed all my belongings into my VW bug and headed west to California (it was the 60's!). I enjoy your writing style and the way you reflect on the small everyday moments.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Hi, Anonymous! Thanks for the comment! That's so funny how you found my blog too. I love it. And thanks for the compliment on my writing style - I just write what I know, which sometimes isn't very much! I always appreciate feedback too.

What part of California are you in? Northern or southern? If you haven't been to Humboldt, you should give it a visit - it's wonderful here!

West Coast Midwestern said...

Oh, and the small everyday moments is what it's all about!

Anonymous said...

I live on the Central Coast of California, near San Luis Obispo and I've been to Humboldt several times. My son graduated from HSU three years ago, and still lives in Arcata. He is the reason I wanted to find out about the Humboldt Crud. He catches it every winter!

West Coast Midwestern said...

Oh no! That is not good news for me! I'm coming up on my second Humboldt winter, and I think I might be especially susceptible to The Crud. I feel for your son!

Laurie Stark said...

What a lovely day! This post made me smile.