Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Sounds Like Beloit

So I have this story, and it just cracks me up. Why I am telling this to you: frankly, I'm sure the only other people who will find this even remotely funny would be my good ol' Wisconsin folks.

So here goes:

The Man of the House, in other words The Artist Momentarily Referred to as Warren Lake, that is My Boyfriend Mike, was eating cookies. These cookies had been purchased at our favorite local grocery store, in this case Murphy's of Sunny Brae, by said cookie-eater (that being Mike).

As he was munching these so-called delicious baked treats he wondered aloud what ingredients went into such fantastically scrumptious cookies (not very good ones, I'm afraid). Then he wondered aloud where these cookies were made, since they must have been shipped from "somewhere far away" or they wouldn't have needed such preservatives in them!

"BEE-LOW-IT," Mike said.

"What?" asked Naomi, that is, The Woman of the House, known by some as West Coast Midwestern.

"They are made in BEE-LOW-IT.... well you should know where that is, since it's in Wisconsin."

So, Naomi decided to look for her own self, and sure enough they were made in "Be-lo-it," that is Beloit!

After much laughing at a befuddled Mike, that is, The Man of the House Momentarily Called Warren Lake, Naomi (The Woman of the House) explained how to pronounce this mysterious little city in the southern part of the great state of Wisconsin.

But as the so-called Mr. Lake was more interested in eating cookies than in learning how to pronounce "obscure" towns from a state he is nowhere near to, the entire explanation was basically lost on him.

The End

(Oh, well, maybe he'll keep saying "Bee-lo-it," and I will continue snickering. One can only hope.)

5 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

HAHAHA

Just in case Mike reads my comment, I am laughing at Naomi's hilarious re-telling of the story, not at Mike's understandable mispronunciation. Wisconsin town names are hard to pronounce!

West Coast Midwestern said...

LOL - Laurie, you are so funny. Mike doesn't read my blog. And he knows I'm posting this - he's really a very good-natured guy, which is a very good thing, as I seem to laugh uncontrollably at the silliest things - easily amused my mother always said.

P.S. That is very nice of you to empathize with Mike since you are not a WI native, so you would know what it's like.

Charmingly Feisty said...

hahahahaha, thanks for the laugh! Now ask him to pronounce Oconomowoc!

And Bee-low-it is how that city shall be known henceforth.

Spudster said...

Thanks for the laugh!

People laugh at me because I refuse to say "Shawano" as "SHAW-NO". Goofy Wisconsinites (of which I've been a member for 37 years).

West Coast Midwestern said...

Sunny, I will hit him with Oconomowoc immediately and post results.

Also, Bee-low-it is like Tar-jay!

Spudster, Wisconsinites ARE silly and that's why I love being a native Wisconsinite.