Friday, March 23, 2007

Friday, March 23

Saw in the paper yesterday a creative writing course through HSU's adult learning program - I think I'm going to take it. It's only $35 for 8 courses Tuesday nights, starting next Tuesday. If we can get this garage cleaned out and Mike working again, which gives me work to do too.

I have too much stuff. I couldn't write more about our trip down to Santa Rosa because we had more important things to do, AKA unpack and return the U-Haul, return the mattress we borrowed from Sarah and Ari's spare room, clean out the bedroom, measure and move my dresser and bed in there, unpack a million boxes and start putting things away, creating evermore piles of things to give away/sell/throw away.

It seems that people need a certain amount of things. It's just extremely cumbersome and inconvenient to live with and maintain x amount of things. I have already gotten rid of A LOT before moving out here. All of my worldly belongings fit into one 8'x7'x6' freight cube. I sold my couches, my TV, my dining table and chairs and gave away my coffee table. I gave away a lot of clothes and donated at least three huge loads to Goodwill. All while still in Madison.

Now that my stuff has been here for at least 24 hours, I already have a huge box FULL of clothes, linens, STUFF for Goodwill.

ugh.

3 comments:

Laurie Stark said...

I took a cue from you and took a HUGE pile of books and CDs to Frugal Muse yesterday and got $50! I think I might have a yard sale, too, now that the weather is so nice. Plus I want to take another big pile of stuff to Goodwill. So... much... crap...

And the creative writing course sounds like a great idea! That's not very expensive either! I say do it!! It will be a great way to meet people and feel involved in your community while you're looking for a job. Plus, it will be fun, I bet.

West Coast Midwestern said...

Thanks, Laurie! That's awesome that you got $50! I love it when stuff like that happens. I looked up on eBay a brand-name handbag that I own and it is being bid on for between $30 and $60 so that is really cool. (YES, I'm EVEN getting rid of my too many purses, bags, handbags, etc! Aren't you proud and amazed? I know I am!)

I really want to take that writing class for those exact reasons!!! I am planning on it as long as we have the money.

Laurie Stark said...

Yeah, I'm getting rid of almost ALL of my purses and shoes and clothes. I really don't have the option of taking crap to New York so I'm paring way down but it's crazy. It feels good to get rid of stuff (especially when I get money in return!) but it's so much work. I spent ALL DAY going through my room and putting stuff in bags for Goodwill and taking pictures of other stuff to sell. And I'm still not even close to being done!