Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Sunday, March 18

So yesterday we had the kids. There was this lumberjack logging conference going on at Redwood Acres, the fairground behind our house. The four of us walked over to check it out. The best part was the free chocolate. The kids rode/walked around on their "heelies." I wish they made heelies in my size.

Then we walked over to the hardware store and had a key made for me. I have a key to the house now! That seems important and pertinent somehow.

A bit later we went to the beach and then we had sushi at this place on 101 N in Eureka called Hana. It was pretty good. I liked the House #2 which was smoked salmon, the spider rolls (fried crab), and california rolls (shrimp). I'm pretty sure all of them included avacado which is delicious. The tea was not good. They forgot Kaya's order so I shared my Cali rolls with her. She had two to my one. I swapped a Cali with Mike for a spider. Then when Kaya's order came out she shared a roll with me (she had the House #2). Her dad had one too. They brought out complimentary sake for Mike and me and little sake cups filled with tiny strawberry-goo-filled cookies for Josh and Kaya. Josh poured water into his empty sake cup to psyche out his dad that he was drinking Mike's sake that Mike didn't want (doesn't care for the taste of sake) and gave to me. For sake it was OK. It tasted more like rubbing alchol might than other sakes I've had. But it was hot and "free" (the price of the food was expensive, in my opinion) and pretty soon I was feeling warm and fuzzy (just a little bit, not too much).

After we got home I suggested we walk to the store and get some candy. So that's what we did. I felt like the kids and I were finally starting to bond. Kaya stuck by my side like glue. I blew bubbles and Kaya (and sometimes Josh) caught/popped them. I thought we had fun. We got a few other things besides chocolate at the store, coffee, cream, milk. It misted as we walked home. Kaya's hands were cold. Josh insisted on hauling the milk and cream, and I worried he might drop them. That stuff is not cheap.

When we got home we sat around the bedroom for about 30 minutes while Kaya played with my hamster in the ball and Josh played computer games. Finally Mike took them home around 8PM. All in all it was a good day, I'd say.

Today - Sunday - we woke up late around 9:30. It's really beautiful and sunny outside. Today I feel OK. Calm, full, not too stressed. The world looks a bit brighter.

No comments: