Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Charming Discoveries

There are horses in stables at the fairgrounds behind my house. Saturday night, Mike and his kids and I walked over there and zig-zagged up and down the stalls saying Good Evening to the horses. It was quite enjoyable, even for Josh who initially rolled his eyes when he realized why we walked there (he's 11, Kaya's 9). Horses are beautiful. They look at you with these gorgeous eyes and they like conversation.

Tonight there was a spectacular sunset at the beach. I took off my shoes and strolled through the tides because it was a warmer day than it's been at the beach. It was therapeutic. Then I sat on a log and watched the sun go down. It didn't hide behind clouds this time! Of course I didn't have my camera with me. Oh well. There will be more.

Mike and I went for a walk downtown and though there isn't the big Capital building on the Square and Madison is bigger, Eureka's downtown is quite charming and reminds me of downtown Madison in its architecture and welcome atmosphere. There was enough going on to make it interesting on a Tuesday evening, still we didn't go into any clubs or bars or coffee shops, only peeked into store fronts and window-shopped in a safe manner (after the shops are closed for the night). We walked down the boardwalk and up and down the cobblestone blocks of Old Towne. We did go into a record store called The Works and looked through their new and used music. I remembered I want to own OK Computer (Radiohead). But I didn't like their price for the one copy they had (new, $17.99). Then we located our car and in five minutes we were home.

I like interesting places to walk. I am really getting into this walking thing. Eureka has plenty of pleasant places to walk.

Oh, yeah, and there are Bicycle Lanes on most, if not all, the main roads throughout Eureka. And lots of bicyclists. Have I mentioned this before?