Saturday, April 21, 2007

Googling How to Start a Zine Yields Undesirable Results

So after I reviewed Off the Map I started to think that I wanted to start a zine. I've got something to say, right? Um. Well. I guess I DO say it regardless of whether or not it's worthwhile to listen to. So zine time, right!? Well let's just hold on, young one. Look it up on the internet or something. Don't be so rash.

So I googled "how to start a zine." There were some very good points. Among them:

"Ask yourself, 'Do I have anything new to say? Do I know new ways to say them? Do I have any talent? Can I write better than your average college graduate? Can I draw a straight line...consistently? Do I have superior taste and sense of design?'"

Then it says if you answer yes to ALL the questions you should then proceed to ask 20 people who will tell you the truth. People don't even tell themselves the truth, let alone other people! And I have to find 20 of those honest types who are willing to be brutally honest.

So...guess I'm not going to write a zine then... (I definitely can't draw a straight line.)

No comments: