Friday, April 27, 2007

Chocolat

So I finished rereading Chocolat. I'm pretty sure I enjoyed it this time so much more than I ever did the first time. The writing is just exquisite. It's very much about food: ingredients, smells, tastes, textures, processes; and how food relates to people, love, laughter, relationships, and what is most important in life. At least, that's what I think. Anyone who loves: food, chocolate, people, love, and laughter should enjoy this book. I would think. Oh, and liking to read is sort of a prerequesite as well (what? not everyone loves to read?!?).

My job interview today went almost too smoothly. I really liked my interviewer. I feel like I asked the right questions, gave the right answers, didn't miss a beat. This isn't like me. So I'm waiting to realize what it is that I missed.

She said she'll let me know on Monday either way. I felt like we had a connection. I'll be sad, but accepting, if I find out she really wasn't too keen on me. On account of the "it went too smoothly" thing.

Oh and I have that other job interview on Monday. That one is the one I'm soooooooo excited about. I hope it pans out to be what I want!

Tomorrow's plans are exciting: Josh comes over at 9AM, Kaya comes over at 10AM after her gymnastics practice is done; then the four of us will go to the Arcata farmers market (no rain in the forecast!). After that, I will drop Mike off at work, and Kaya, Josh and I will go to the Arcata library. I haven't been to that one yet.

It'll be interesting to see how things go when it is the three of us and their dad is not there. I work really hard not to mother them, as I am not their mother. I attempt the "fun but not overbearing aunt" relationship. Kaya clings to my side and they finally call me by name, even if Josh thinks he's hilaaaaarious to mispronounce it and then laugh every time (every time!). A few weeks back I dug out some books I loved as an older kid that I still have and that seemed to be the turning point for the three of us. Pretty soon, I was sitting outside reading a book when I found myself flanked by one Josh and one Kaya, each saying "Here, read this," and showing me various pages in my books I lent them. It was a very nice moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love the bonding moment with Josh and Kaya!!! That is so special girl!!! i am soo soo happy for ALL of you xoxoxox